Tuesday, April 11, 2006

"There's No End to IT..."

Once upon a time, long long ago, I thought that the day would come when I would get my computers all arranged nicely and they would work for me without mishap while I concentrated on writing, taking photos, etc.  While I have not absolutely and completely given up on that dream, I have gotten to the point where I pretty much expect computers to endlessly cause me problems.  The latest?  I was given a "free" computer....

It's a custom-built box that I was initially happy to use - for all of three hours, and then I had a good close look at the motherboard.  Ballooned capacitors met my horrified gaze.  "Oh no... you've got to be kidding!  Not again!" I silently screamed.  I had just lost a Dell Dimension-C to a leaking capacitor-induced sudden death.  Oh well - "Tada-hodo takai mono wa nai" ("Nothing is so expensive as that which is free"), and so I rushed off to an electronics store to spend money on my "free" computer.  I expected some sympathy from the shopkeeper,but he just explained that's what what happens.

Well... it may happen, but does it really have to?  Dead mother boards in only a few years?  I think they should last a bit longer than that....

Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon
http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~LLLtrs/

No comments: