Monday, May 08, 2006

"Trying to Clear the Drive..."

It used to be that getting a drive free and clear (vaporizing all the
data on it) was no big deal, but I've spent the whole morning trying to
eradicate all the junk from Brand-W so I can put in... er... more junk
from Brand-W! (I would go with Brand-L, but it's not my computer, so I
- unfortunately - have to go with what the owner of the machine wants.)
A newly purchased and quite-legal version of Windows-XP in hand, it is
not offering any options for vaporizing everything on the hard drive so
I can do a new and clean install.

Not being able to clean up the hard drive with W-stuff, I downloaded
Ubuntu Linux, but the built-in CD-R/RW software for XP doesn't recognize
an ISO file the way my L-box does, so while I'm able to burn a disk with
that one file on it, it's not a bootable image.

Next try - some old CD burning software, but no luck - it doesn't run on
XP....

There's a DVD with Linux on it from a magazine, but this computer
doesn't have a DVD reader in it.

Now? I'm downloading a trial version of Nero, version 7.2. Will it
know what to do with an ISO image? Hopefully it will!

Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon
http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~LLLtrs/
--
Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon
lylehsaxon@fastmail.fm

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - The way an email service should be

No comments: